March 12, 2004

Russia Day 2, Feb 28th

The ride from Moscow to Kostroma was mostly uneventful. Except for that one incedent. Shortly after we took off I needed to make a trip to the restroom. (Note: You may not urinate or deficate within Moscow city limits. You are required to wait until you exit the city to take care of your business because your business drops from the train to the ground below as you travel.) On my way back from the restroom I realized that I did not ask Dema what our cabin number was. I walked to about where I figured our room was (about the 4th out of 8 on the car) and proceeded to open the sliding door. D'OH! What's this? A middle aged lady with her pants half way off and a very shocked look on her face? Evidently she did not expect me. I apologized (in English, of course) and proceeded to the next door. this time, a little wiser, I knocked. The door slid open to reveal the face of an angry man. I apologized again and made my way to the next door. Knocking on the next door down revealed two men with beer in their room. While the offer was tantalizing, I knew the language barrier would prove to be a great hinderance in my asking to share their tasty beverages. I apologized and realized I was way too far down the hall to be anywhere near our cabin. Turns out, ours was the third one. I slept in fear that the lady who's pants were down might know the angry man next door.

We arrived in Kostroma (unharmed) around 5AM.

CHC provided a van from the station to the Minsitry Center where we were to stay for the week. Arrived around 6AM and made our way quickly to bed. It was still 9PM (the previous day) to our bodies. Talk about WHACK! All told, from the time we left on Friday to this point, I had about 6 hours of sleep. A little tip for future travellers: your body will require more than 6 hours of sleep for 2 flights totalling 14 hours of your life and approximately 10 hours of walking through the glorious city of Moscow.

Slept till the evening. Dema took us to dinner at the Yellow Submarine where we had good food. Cream and mushroom soup and Blini, a crepe style stuffed pancake.

Walked around the corner to Scott Parks' flat (approx 250 sq. ft.) where he and his wife have ahouse church. About 10 people showed up and we had a great time talking (through translators) about church in the States and in Russia, about the common struggles they face and the diversity found in both. One major hurdle we dscussed is how to "do church" apart from the "Pastor as CEO" model that seems to plague both continents in the Protestant congregations. It made me wonder how much of that is the fault of the Westerners who brought that model to our friends in Russia. I was truly saddened by the thought. Kelly and I sang a couple songs as did Boris (a fellow enjoyer of fine beverages) and Sash. We left very encouraged and knowing we had new friends for life.

Took taxi home, stopped at the store next to the Ministry Center for yogurt, bread and cheese for breakfast and slept peacefully.

Tomorrow, Monday, would be our first trip to an orphanage. It was just west of Kostroma and called "Volshky."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home