February 10, 2004

This is Awesome

Surfing, I came across Journeyman James and his blog is a blessing. A story he shared struck me so I thought I sould share it with you. I hope it tickles.

"I picked up Mike for our weekend together this afternoon and, having missed lunch, stopped by a 7/11 on the way home. Doritos for him, Fritos for me, and a shared Pepsi. At some point during the short trip home I noticed a foul oder every time I took a sip of the Pepsi. After a minute, I realized it was Dorito breath wrapped around the mouth of the bottle. "Ewww", I thought. But then I smiled realizing that he probably noticed the Frito breath I was leaving behind, and probably didn't care.

This little vignette reminded me that much of life with those I love is both sweet and gross, often at the same time, just like the Pepsi we shared today. Yet it is who we are: sweet and gross. Bill Shakespeare said it like this in MacBeth: "Love is like a rose. Intertwined in it's beauty are both anguish and ecstasy."

I drank more, but didn't finish the bottle. Mike hasn't learned the backwash-prevention method of drinking from a bottle, and he gleefully wrapped his lips all the way around the top... I'm no fool. But I did enjoy the humanity of the moment. And I'm glad that my oldest son helped me see beyond the gross to the sweet, just by being a kid hanging out with his dad."

Have a humanly divine day. If you're a dad, hug your son. If you're a son, hug your dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home