February 14, 2004

Saturday's Muse

This guy's work is amazing. There's just something about old abandoned buildings that brings out feelings of old age and nostalgia. Though I've not been on the escapades that he has, I know the feeling of treading on ground that is supposed to be off limits. I remember as a kid going into the huge lots behing my grandmother's condominiums in Riverside, CA. They were supposed to be off limits to us, which, of course, made them all the more tantalizing and coveted. One summer, my cousin and his friend's built a maze of underground tunnels in the field, reinforcing the walls and ceiling with panels of wood they found at some construction site. Looking back, my grandmother had reason to be angry when she found out about it. We could have been killed. It was dangerous. The wood could have given way and we could have been crushed under all the dirt above us, leaving only our bikes to tell anyone where we were.

That was part of the adventure. Knowing you were doing something dangerous... together. Knowing you had something you could call your own and a place where you and your friends could just hang out... even if it was dangerous.

That's where I am spiritually. Taking some chances. Digging where others have told us not to. Making reinforcements in our walls. In God's lot.

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day. Kelly and I have plans. She doesn't know where we are going. But I do. I've planned a romantic night, just the two of us, far far away . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home